Friday, June 26, 2009

Monk - the Interview




I Had the pleasure of getting to know Monk via Twitter. After a couple of wonderful conversations, listening to his music, I asked Monk for an interview. The article that resulted is Monk - The man and the music , along with a friendship. Thank you Monk.

Monks Interview:
Age: 26
Name: Monk Why "Monk"? Is there a story behind it?
Its my nickname since I was a little kid. Monk does not have the meaning then in English language. It was just a strange short cut to my real name Dominik !!!.
Have you always lived in Munich?
Yes I grew up in Munich. But I would love to move to another city. The music scene in Munich is really dead :)I love the English language !!! I´d love to move to London, New York, or Sidney... but I will for sure in the future !
Did you study music at all in school?
I had private lessons in Violin, Piano and Guitar. None of my teachers ever got me to learn to read notes !!!I hated it. LOL
When did you start performing?
As a guitarist in Cover bands when I was 16 years old.
What instruments do you play? Favourite one?
My main instrument is guitar.
Well I play acoustic and electric guitars, bass, keyboard, a bit drums but not really well.
Favourite song.... you have coming out on CD and why is it a favourite. Is any song more or less a story of your life?
I would not say that there is any favourite cause they all mean something to me, but I think “Fill The Emptiness” reflects a big part of my personality to be honest.
And could you please send me the lyrics to the one song that best reflects you and your style.

THE EMPTINESS
Since I was little kid I had this deep black feelingI had to run had to hide
had to know had to fight whyI keep onsearching praying asking hoping waiting knowing destroying feeling
I´ve tried it with books I´ve tried it with drugs I´ve tried it with love I´ve tried pure sex
Nothing seems to fill my emptinessNothing seems to fill my emptinessNothing seems to fill my emptinessNothing seems to fill my emptiness
I´m no child any morebut the whole in my soul is getting bigger everyday
if they had told me from the start that everything will fall apartWould I have stayed ?
I keep onsearching praying asking hoping waiting knowing destroying feeling
I´ve tried it with books I´ve tried it with drugsI´ve tried it with love I´ve tried pure sex
Nothing seems to fill my emptinessNothing seems to fill my emptinessNothing seems to fill my emptinessNothing seems to fill my emptiness
And only the banished ones are my friendsThey´ve told me there is a light at the end
And only the banished ones shake my handThey´ve told me there is a light
Will it shine
News speaker:Drinking and drugs are the key factors for the high rates of suicide and violent death.
Want to get rid of this EMPTYNESS
NOTHING SEEMS TO FILL MY EMPTYNESSNOTHING SEEMS TO FILL MY EMPTYNESSNOTHING SEEMS TO FILL MY EMPTYNESSNOTHING SEEMS TO FILL MY EMPTYNESS


Who are your musical influences?
This list could be endless but I will just name a few.
Mozart, Beethoven, Wagner, Richard StraussMichael Jackson, Prince, Grand Master Flash, Queen, The Beatles, Nirvana, Beastie Boys, Oasis, Jamiroquai, Portishead, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Jeff Beck, Tori Amos, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Sting, Beck,From a songwriter perspective I really admire Guy Chambers. In my book this guy is the Jhonn Lennon of today.
When are you hoping to complete the CD?
The songs are all written, but I think it will take me another 6 to 8 weeks (hopefully) to mix and finalize everything.I´m never happy and it is really hard for me to call a song finished !!!
Any upcoming place performances?
Besides of the studio work I'm building up a band. I will start playing live in my home town Munich and I plan a first tour in Germany. Then lets see what happens. But as soon as I will play live I will post videos of the shows on You Tube !
Are you for hire for performances?
Not at the moment but when the album is finished and we are ready to play live then of course !!!
Are you looking for a label or will you remain indie?
At the moment I cant imagine working with a record company.. I love the fact that I can write and release whatever I want. 30 years ago you could not record a LP without them. Now you can.At the moment I'm happy how things are.
Favorite Picture that I can use
This pic seems to get good reactions. http://twitpic.com/52r1d
But feel free to choose the ones that you think would fit best.
Again thank you so much.
All the best... Monk

No Monk .....AGAIN , Thank you! .........Renagade

No comments: