While the integration is good - Twitter feeding Facebook, Facebook feeding Twitter, MySpace feeding both, Reverbnation feeding everywhere, I am seeing to many fail at the most important part - the SOCIAL end of Social Media. Although the ends and outs, the do's and don'ts have been covered time and time again, let me jump on this happy bandwagon and give my take on it.
- DO integrate - yes, use the feeds from one to the other to the other . My Favorite is the Reverbnation feed. From Reverb, you can keep everyone everywhere up dated with your shows, and by sharing the player with Facebook, increase the number of plays you receive.
- DON'T Neglect - Just because you are feeding Facebook from Twitter for example, don't think you do not have to pop in there. Try to personally visit each social site at least once a week.
- DO Promote - Yes - the whole purpose of you spending your time on Twitter, etc is to expose your music, and to increase your fanbase, hence increasing sales, and crowds at your shows.
- DON'T over Promote - Again, the whole purpose is to build a fanbase, nothing turns people off faster than a barrage of "look at me!"
- DO be sociable - It is called social media for a reason - be sociable! - Chat with the people, thank them for mentioning you, sharing your song, and help out other musicians by propping them up and giving them some kudos too. THEY have fans, and no, you don't want to 'steal' fans, but sharing fans is only a win-win for all involved.
- DON'T be rude - in ANY way. Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it friendly.
- DO be YOU - THIS is the most important one. Be YOU. Fans follow artists because they want to 'see' what they are like. Keep it real.
It is simple - relax - have fun - win fans. Just remember, what works in the club on a Saturday night with the drinking crowd is not going to wash for the Sunday morning coffee drinkers.
Be true to you - to quote George Michael's song - you gotta have Faith - faith in you.
Later - Renagade - Renagade offers many services to help musicians grow, including Branding and social media Campaigns.
Feel free to connect with me:
My Social Media spots: